Place:


Layston  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layston like this:

LAYSTON, a parish in Royston district, Herts; ¾ of a mile E of Buntingford r. station. It was known, at Domesday, as Ichetone; it had a village which, for some time, was a market town; and it now contains part of the town of Buntingford. Post town, Buntingford. Acres, 2, 208. Real property, £4, 777. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 220; in 1861, 998. Houses, 223. The decrease of pop. arose from the demolition or abandonment of dwelling houses, and from reduction of the number of inmates in Buntingford workhouse. The manor belongs to W. Butt, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Buntingford, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300. Patron, W. Butt, Esq. The church is a plain building, with a tower; contains several tablets and monuments; and is used only in the summer months, and for marriages.

Layston through time

Layston is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Layston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Layston in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4928

Date accessed: 09th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Layston ".