Place:


Hunsdon  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunsdon like this:

HUNSDON, a village and a parish in Ware district, Herts. The village stands near the river Stort and the boundary with Essex, 2¼ miles NE of Roydon r. station, and 5 ESE of Ware; and has a post office under Ware. The parish comprises 1, 928 acres. Real property, £3, 733. Pop., 516. ...


Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Ferrers', the Engaines, the Goldingtons, the Oldhalls, and the mother of Henry VII.; had a castle of the Oldhalls; and was made an honour by Henry VIII. Hunsdon House, a moated mansion, was built on the site of the Oldhalls' castle, by Henry VIII.; was occupied or visited by Henry VIII.'s children; and was given by Queen Elizabeth to her cousin Cary, Lord Hunsdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £263.* Patron, N. Calvert, Esq. The church is later English; consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains a curious brass and several handsome monuments. There are a national school, and charities £33.

Hunsdon through time

Hunsdon is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunsdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunsdon in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4926

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunsdon ".