Place:


Swimbridge  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swimbridge like this:

SWIMBRIDGE, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Barnstaple district, Devon; 4½ miles ESE of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post-office under Barnstaple. Acres, 7,280. Real property, £8,074; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,738; in 1861, 1,532. houses, 332. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is later English, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £132.

Swimbridge through time

Swimbridge is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swimbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swimbridge in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4903

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swimbridge ".