Place:


Widworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Widworthy like this:

WIDWORTHY, a parish in Honiton district, Devon; 3½ miles E by S of Honiton r. station. Post town, Honiton. Acres, 1,437. Real property, £2,033. Pop., 188. Houses, 39. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to Sir E. M. Elton, Bart. W. hill has some remains of an ancient entrenchment. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £168.* Patron, Sir E. M. Elton, Bart. The church is ancient. There are a parochial school, and charities £12.

Widworthy through time

Widworthy is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Widworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Widworthy in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4877

Date accessed: 04th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Widworthy ".