Place:


Luffincott  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luffincott like this:

LUFFINCOTT, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the Bude canal and the river Tamar, at the boundary with Cornwall, 6 miles S by W of Holsworthy, and 6¼ NNW of Lifton r. station. Post town, Launceston. Acres, 971. Real property, £667. Pop., 71. Houses, 13. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor was anciently called Loghincot; was held by a family of the same name, from the time of Henry III. till that of Henry V.; and belongs now to H. Blagrove, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £67.* Patrons, J. Venner and J. Spettigue, Esqs. The church is modern.

Luffincott through time

Luffincott is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luffincott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luffincott, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4866

Date accessed: 30th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luffincott ".