Place:


Edmondbyers  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edmondbyers like this:

EDMONDBYERS, a township and a parish in Wear-dale district, Durham. The township lies near the river Derwent and the boundary with Northumberland, 4¼ miles WN-W of Consett r. station, and 9½ NNW of Wolsingham; and has a post office under Gateshead. The parish comprises 4, 880 acres; and it formerly included the chapelry of Hunstonworth. ...


Real property, £1, 219. Pop., 455. Houses, 103. The property is much subdivided. The surface is hilly; and the rocks are rich in lead ore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £292.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was repaired in 1858. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Edmondbyers through time

Edmondbyers is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edmondbyers itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edmondbyers, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4860

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edmondbyers ".