Place:


Spondon  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spondon like this:

SPONDON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Shardlow district, Derbyshire. The village stands ½ a mile N of the Derby and Nottingham railway, and 2¾ E by S of Derby; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Derby. The township comprises 2,830 acres. ...


Real property, £8,807; of which £62 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,672; in 1861, 1,523. Houses, 333. The manor, with Locko Park, belongs to W. D. Lowe, Esq. S. Halland S. House are chief residences.—The parish contains also Stanley chapelry, and comprises 4,300 acres. Pop. in 1861, 2,057. Houses, 442. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £260.* Patron, W. D. Lowe, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Stanley is a separate benefice. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £169.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes, and 3 parts. Pop., 7,238. Houses, 1,571.

Spondon through time

Spondon is now part of Derby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spondon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spondon, in Derby and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4842

Date accessed: 27th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spondon ".