Place:


St Margarets  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Margarets like this:

MARGARET (ST.), a parish in the district and county of Hereford; near the river Dore, 3¼ miles NW by N of Abbeydore, and 5½ NNW of Pontrilas r. station. Posttown, Abbeydore, under Hereford. Acres, 2,582. Real property, £2,032. Pop., 343. Houses, 66. The property is much subdivided. ...


The surface is hilly and well wooded; and the higher grounds command extensive views. Stone is quarried. The living is a Vicarage, united with the vicarage of Michaelchurch-Eskley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £162. Patron, Lady Langdale. The church is ancient, and was partially restored in 1866. Charities, £17.

St Margarets through time

St Margarets is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Margarets itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Margarets in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4831

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Margarets ".