Place:


Horley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horley like this:

HORLEY, a parish and a sub-district, in Reigate disstrict, Surrey. The parish lies in the Weald, on the river Mole, adjacent to the London and Brighton railway, 4¾ miles S by E of Reigate; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office‡ under Crawley. Acres, 7, 215. ...


Real property, £7, 858. Pop., 1, 587. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. The limits include Kennersley manor, Horley Lodge, Mason's Bridge, and Horse-Hill, -the last a conspicuous object. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £410.* Patron, Christ's Hospital, London. The church is early English, in good condition; and has a shingle spire. The vicarage of Sidlow Bridge is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, national schools, and charities £25.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 28, 550. Pop., 6, 405. Houses, 1, 130.

Horley through time

Horley is now part of Reigate and Banstead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Reigate and Banstead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horley, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4820

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horley ".