Place:


Mackworth  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mackworth like this:

MACKWORTH, a township and a parish in Belper district, Derbyshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Derwent, 3 miles WNW of Derby r. station; contains remains of a fine old gateway, formerly an entrance to Mackworth Castle, belonging to Lord Scarsdale; and has a post office under Derby. ...


Real property, £2,984. Pop., 278. Houses, 53. The parish contains also the township of Markheaton, and comprises 3,400 acres. Real property, £7,819. Pop., 525. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The manors, with Markheaton Hall, belong to W. Mundy, Esq. Thornhill is the seat of Miss E. Trowell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £155.* Patron, WMundy, Esq. The church is decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and deep chancel, with fine tower and octagonal spire; was restored in 1851; has a memorial E window to F. N.Mundy, Esq.; and contains a modern font of Caen stone. There are a parochial school, and charities £35.

Mackworth through time

Mackworth is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mackworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mackworth, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4818

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mackworth ".