Place:


Hilton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:

HILTON, a township in Marston-upon-Dove parish, Derby; on a branch of the river Dove, 3 miles NW of Egginton r. station, and 5 N of Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 1, 620. Real property, £4, 007. Pop., 719. Houses, 176. The manor belongs to the executors of the late William E. Mousley, Esq. The Wakelyn is an ancient gabled mansion, half-timbered, and curiously ornamented. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school.

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4814

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".