Place:


Chawleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chawleigh like this:

CHAWLEIGH, or Chawley, a village and a parish in Crediton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Dart, 2 miles E of Eggesford r. station, and 2 SE of Chumleigh; is irregularly built, but very pleasantly situated; and has fairs on 6 May and 11 Dec. The parish comprises 5, 020 acres; and its post town is Chumleigh, North Devon. ...


Real property, £3, 729. Pop., 801. Houses, 171. The manor and about three-fourths of the property belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £455.* Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower; has a splendid carved screen; and was recently in need of extensive repair. There are chapels for Independents and Bible Christians. Charities, £99.

Chawleigh through time

Chawleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chawleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chawleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4810

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chawleigh ".