Place:


Swinton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swinton like this:

SWINTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Eccles parish, Lancashire; near Patricroft r. station, 4½ mile WNW of Manchester. It has a post-office‡ under Manchester. Pop., about 6,000. There are several good residences. Cotton manufacture and brick-making are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Vicar of Eccles. The church is plain. There are Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and the Manchester industrial schools.

Swinton through time

Swinton is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swinton, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/480

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swinton".