Place:


Stratfield Saye  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratfield Saye like this:

STRATFIELDSAYE, a parish in Basingstoke district; containing S. village and S. House in Hants, Beech-Hill tything in Berks; and lying on the Roman road to Silchester, 2½ miles SE of Mortimer r. station, and 7 NE by N of Basingstoke. It has a post-office under Winchfield. Acres, 3,532. Real property, £5,279. ...


Pop., 827. Houses, 162. The manor, with S. House, belonged, soon after the Norman conquest, to the Says; passed in the time of Richard II. to the D'Abridge-courts, and in that of Charles I. to the Pitts; and was purchased, in 1815, for the Duke of Wellington. The present house dates chiefly from the time of Queen Anne, and has a comparatively plain appearance. A monument to the first Duke of Wellington, 82 feet high, terminating in a statue of the Duke 8¾ feet high, was erected in 1866, on a spot adjacent to the road from Basingstoke to Reading. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester-Value, £669.* Patron, the Duke of Wellington. The church was built in 1756, and is of the most inelegant type. The p. curacy of Beech-Hill is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £22 a year, and charities £13.

Stratfield Saye through time

Stratfield Saye is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stratfield Saye itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratfield Saye, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4777

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stratfield Saye".