Place:


Lainston  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lainston like this:

LAINSTON, an extra-parochial tract in Winchester district, Hants; 3 miles NW of Winchester r. station. It formerly was in all respects a parish, and still is so ecclesiastically. Post-town, Winchester. Acres, 11 0. Real property, £212. Pop., 33. Houses, 4. One of the houses is a private lunatic asylum, within grounds of about 40 acres; was built in the time of Charles II.; and was once the seat of Lord Bayning. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £34. Patron, Sir F. H. Bathurst, Bart. The church is in ruins; and it was the place where Walpole's "Ælia Lælia Chudleigh" married Captain Harvey, afterwards Earl of Bristol.

Lainston through time

Lainston is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lainston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lainston, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4767

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lainston".