Place:


Hannington  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hannington like this:

HANNINGTON, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; on the Roman road from Andover, 2 miles SSE of Kingsclere, and 4 NNE of Overton r. station. It has a post office under Newbury. Acres, 1, 985. Real property, £1, 981. Pop., 264. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. There is a barrow on Cottington's hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £410.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient, with a steeple; and was restored in 1856.

Hannington through time

Hannington is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hannington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hannington, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4764

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hannington".