Place:


Hamble le Rice  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hamble le Rice like this:

HAMBLE-LE-RICE, a parish in South Stoneham district, Hants; on Southampton water, at the mouth of the Hamble river, 2¾ miles SSE of Netley r. station. Post town, Southampton. Acres, 1, 319; of which 895 are water. Real property, £2, 225. Pop., 509. Houses, 103. A Cistertian priory was founded here, by Henry Blois, Bishop of Winchester, as a cell to Tirone abbey in France; and, at the suppression of alien monasteries, was given to New College, Oxford. ...


Some remains exist of an ancient castle, on a projecting point of land on the shore. There are a coast guard station and a lobster fishery. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported.* Patron, Winchester College. The church is ancient, has some Norman traces, and contains a monument to Sir Joseph Yorke. There is a national school.

Hamble le Rice through time

Hamble le Rice is now part of Eastleigh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eastleigh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hamble le Rice itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hamble le Rice, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4763

Date accessed: 24th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hamble le Rice ".