Place:


Ewhurst  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewhurst like this:

EWHURST, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 3 miles SE of Kingsclere, and 4 NNW of Oakley r. station. Post town, Wolverton, under Newbury. Acres, 479. Real property, £738. Pop., 12. Houses, 2. The property is all in one estate. Ewhurst House is the seat of W. J. Chaplin, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £104. Patron, the Duke of Wellington. The church is good. The name Ewhurst signifies "the yew-wood."

Ewhurst through time

Ewhurst is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ewhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewhurst, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4759

Date accessed: 19th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ewhurst ".