Place:


Gayton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gayton like this:

GAYTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk. The village stands 2¾ miles NE of East Winch r. station, and 7½ E. by S of King's Lynn; and has a post office under Lynn, and a hiring fair a week prior to Old Michaelmas day.—The parish comprises 3, 272 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 581. Pop., 920. Houses, 170. The property is much sub-divided. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in the time of William the Conqueror, by William de Scohies. Gayton Place is the seat of the St. Johns. The parish contains the Freebridge-Lynn workhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £292. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is ancient but very good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £66.—The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 22, 766. Pop., 4, 284. Houses, 903.

Gayton through time

Gayton is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gayton in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4720

Date accessed: 18th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gayton ".