Place:


Stoke Ferry  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Ferry like this:

STOKE-FERRY, a parish, with a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 7 miles ESE of Downham r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Brandon, and a fair on 6 Dec. Acres, 2,059. Real property, £5,132. Pop., 791. Houses, 175. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £100. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored in 1848. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, and fuel allotments.

Stoke Ferry through time

Stoke Ferry is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Ferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Ferry in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4716

Date accessed: 25th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Ferry ".