Place:


Great Witchingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Witchingham like this:

WITCHINGHAM (Great), a parish, with a village, in St. Faith district, Norfolk; 7½ miles E by S of Elmham r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 2,245. Real property, £4,707. Pop., 642. Houses, 138. W. Halland much of the land belong to H. K. Tompson, Esq. The living is a vicarage united with Little W., in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £495.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is ancient, but good. There are a national school, and charities £33.

Great Witchingham through time

Great Witchingham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Witchingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Witchingham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4689

Date accessed: 05th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Witchingham ".