Place:


St Anthony in Roseland  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Anthony in Roseland like this:

ANTHONY-IN-ROSELAND (St.), a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on the English Channel and the E side of Falmouth harbour, 3 miles E of Falmouth, and 9½ S of Truro r. station. Post Town, St. Mawes under Grampound. Acres, 682 of land, and 435 of water. Real property, £1,200. Pop., 169. ...


Houses, 28. St. Anthony's Head projects into the sea at the mouth of Falmouth harbour; and is crowned by a lighthouse, showing a white flashing light 65 feet high, visible at the distance of 12 miles. The Old Wall rock, with 26 feet of water, lies off the headland. A bed of shell, 30 feet above high-water mark, occurs at Porth. Place House, a seat of Sir S. T. Spry, adjoins the church, and occupies the site of an Augustinian priory, which was founded in 1124, by Warlewast, Bishop of Exeter, and was a cell to Plympton. The living is a donative in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir S. T. Spry. The church is a beautiful small structure in early English, with a Norman doorway; was recently restored by Sir S. T. Spry; and contains a monument, by Westmacott, to Admiral Sir Richard Spry.

St Anthony in Roseland through time

St Anthony in Roseland is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Anthony in Roseland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Anthony in Roseland, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4658

Date accessed: 16th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Anthony in Roseland ".