Place:


Laneast  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laneast like this:

LANEAST, a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall; on the river Inny, 6½ miles W of Launceston r. station. It contains Tregeare, which has a post-office under Launceston; and contains also Jamaica Inn. Acres, 2,487. Real property, £1,437. Pop., 244. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor formerly belonged to Launceston priory. Some mining was formerly carried on, but ceased between 1851 and 1861. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £85. Patron, J. K. Lethbridge, Esq. The church is ancient but good; has a lofty tower; and contains open oak seats, and a carved screen. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. The astronomer Adams, who discovered the planet Neptune, was a native.

Laneast through time

Laneast is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laneast itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laneast in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4648

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laneast ".