Cilrhedyn  Carmarthenshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cilrhedyn like this:

KILRHEDIN, or CILRHEDYN, a parish in the district of Newcastle-in-Emlyn, and counties of Pembroke and Carmarthen; on the river Cuch, 5¼ miles SSW of Newcastle-Emlyn r. station. It contains the villages of Capel-Evan, Pentych, Cwmcych, Cwmforgan, and Blananllyn; and its post town is Newcastle-Emlyn, under Carmarthen. ...

Acres of the Pembroke portion, 2, 183. Real property, £946. Pop., 249. Houses, 47. Acres, of the Carmarthen portion, 5, 673. Real property, £2, 243. Pop., 825. Houses, 184. Kilrhedin Castle is now a ruin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Valne, £378.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of about £1, 100; and is in the decorated English style, of local stone, with Bath stone dressings. The churchyard contains a monumental stone with Ogham inscription.

Cilrhedyn through time

Cilrhedyn is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cilrhedyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cilrhedyn in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cilrhedyn".