Place:


Lazonby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lazonby like this:

LAZONBY, a village, a township, and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Eden, 1½ mile SW of Kirkoswald, and 5 NE by E of Plumpton r. station; and has a post office under Penrith.-The township comprises 8, 154 acres. Real property, £4, 875; of which £141 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 570. Houses, 117.—The parish includes also the township of Plumpton-Wall; is traversed by Watling Street; and contains, within Plumpton Wall township, vestiges of a Roman.station, supposed to be Bremetenracnm, or Old Penrith. Acres, 11, 175. Real property, £8, 416. Pop., 896. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir George Musgrave, Bart. Lazonby House is the seat of the Macleans. Much of the land is moor. Traces of a ruined moated castle are at Castle-Rigg. A very high rock, with an artificial cave, called the Giant's chamber or Sampson's cave, is in Baron wood. There are several cairns. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £551. * Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church has a bell turret, and is good. The p. curacy of Plumpton-Wall is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and two slightly endowed schools.

Lazonby through time

Lazonby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lazonby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lazonby, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4607

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lazonby ".