Place:


Flimby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flimby like this:

FLIMBY, a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland; on the coast, and on the Maryport and White-haven railway, 1¾ mile SSW of Maryport. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Maryport. Acres. 1,842: of which 253 are water. Real property, £6, 383; of which £4, 108 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 555; in 1861, 1, 178. Houses, 216. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of extensive coal-mines, and the erection of houses for the workers. The property is divided among a few. The parish was constituted out of Commerton in the time of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £82.* Patrons, the Landowners. The church is good.

Flimby through time

Flimby is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flimby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flimby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4600

Date accessed: 22nd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Flimby".