Place:


Loughton  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Loughton like this:

LOUGHTON, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands on the E side of Epping forest, and on the Stratford and Ongar railway, 1 mile W of the river Roding, and 4 SSW of Epping: consists chiefly of one long street; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under London NE, and a station of the metropolitan police. ...


The parish comprises 3,170 acres. Real property, £7,971. Pop. in 1851,1,237; in 1861,1,527. Houses, 308. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Waltham abbey. Loughton Hall was a residence of Queen Anne in her father's lifetime, and was destroyed by fire in 1836. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £5118.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. Maitland. The old church stood nearly a mile from the village; and only the chancel of it now remains. The new church stands near the centre of the village; was built in 1846; and is in the Norman style, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, national schools, a British school, and charities £83. The national schools were rebuilt in 1864, and enlarged in 1865; and are in the early English style.

Loughton through time

Loughton is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loughton, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/46

Date accessed: 29th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Loughton ".