Place:


Ashley  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashley like this:

ASHLEY-CUM-SILVERLEY, a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge; on the verge of the county, at Ashley Gap, 4 miles ESE of Newmarket r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Ashley, under New market. Acres, 2,143. Real property, £3,293. Pop., 509. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory and a vicarage-Ashley rectory, Silverley vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, the Hon. W. R. J. North. The church was built in 1845.

Ashley through time

Ashley is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashley in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4596

Date accessed: 24th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashley ".