Place:


Tingewick  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tingewick like this:

TINGEWICK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Buckingham. The village stands 3¼ miles W by S of Buckingham r. station, was once a market town, and has a post-office under Buckingham. The parish comprises 2,290 acres. Real property, £3,795. Pop., 914. ...


Houses, 206. The property is subdivided. Lace-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value. £500. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church has Norman remains, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £13.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 15,962. Pop., 3,671. Houses, 841.

Tingewick through time

Tingewick is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tingewick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tingewick, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4582

Date accessed: 03rd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tingewick ".