Place:


Llanfihangel Nant Melan  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Nant Melan like this:

LLANVIHANGEL-NANTMELLAN, a township and a parish in Presteigne district, Radnor. The township lies 3¼ miles SW of New Radnor, and 9 W of Kington r. station; and is partly within Llandegley parish. Real property, £2,138. Pop., 258. Houses, 43. Pop. of the part within Llandegley, 43. ...


Houses, 5. The parish includes the township of Trewern and Gwythla, and part of the township of Upper Harpton. Post town, New Radnor, Radnorshire. Acres, inclusive of all L. township, but exclusive of the part of Upper Harpton, 8,150. Real property of that acreage, £3,122. Pop. of the parish in 1851,396; in 1861,348. Houses, 62. A waterfall here, called Water-break-its-Neck, makes a leap of 70 feet. There is an ancient British camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £142. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in the Norman style; stands on a hill-slope; and is surrounded by old yew trees. Charities, £7.

Llanfihangel Nant Melan through time

Llanfihangel Nant Melan is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Nant Melan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Nant Melan, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4504

Date accessed: 16th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Nant Melan ".