Place:


Ashton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashton like this:

ASHTON, a township and a chapelry in Tarvin parish, Cheshire. The township lies near Delamere forest, 3¼ miles SE of Dunham-Hill r. station, and 7 NE of Chester. It has a post office under Chester. Acres, 1,303. Real property, £2,732. Pop., 411. Houses, 81.—The chapelry is called Ashton-Hayes, and was constituted in 1849. Pop., 626. Houses, 114. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patron, W. Atkinson, Esq. The church is in the later English style. There are two Methodist chapels.

Ashton through time

Ashton is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4501

Date accessed: 02nd July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashton ".