Place:


Kenardington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kenardington like this:

KENARDINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Tenterden district, Kent; near the Royal Military canal, 1½ mile SW of Ham-Street r. station, and 7 SSW of Ashford. Post town, Ham-Street, under Ashford. Acres, 2, 160. Real property, £3, 222. Pop., 221. Houses, 42. Much of the land is occupied with coppice, called Silcox-wood. ...


An ancient earthwork is on elevated ground, near the village; is connected, by a narrow causeway, with another ancient earthwork in the marsh below; and these works are supposed by some to have been formed by the ancient British, -by others to have been formed, about 893, during the wars between Alfred and the Danes. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £114. Patron, Mrs. Breton. The church comprises aisle and chancel, with a bell turret; and succeeded one which was destroyed by lightning in 1559.

Kenardington through time

Kenardington is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kenardington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kenardington, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4494

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kenardington".