Bideford  Devon


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bideford like this:

Bideford, par., mun. bor., and seaport, N. Devon, on river Torridge, 4 miles from the sea, 7 miles SW. of Barnstaple, and 220 miles from London by rail, 3196 ac., pop. 6512; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday. The town is in two portions, united by a bridge of 24 arches. ...

It has mfrs. of earthenware, ropes, sails, and leather; and carries on shipbuilding. Exports-- oak-hark, gram, and its own mfrs; imports -- timber, coal, fruits, wines, and brandies. Vessels of 500 tons come up to the quay; steamers run to Ilfracombe and Lundy Island during summer, and to Bristol throughout the year. Bideford is now a sub-port of Barnstaple. On Braunton Sands is a lighthouse, with 2 fixed lights (Bideford) seen at 11 and 14 miles. Admiral Sir Richard Grenville, who fell in action with the Spaniards in 1591, was a native.

Bideford through time

Bideford is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bideford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bideford, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 16th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bideford".