Place:


Llanfair  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfair like this:

LLANFAIR, a parish in Festiniog district, Merioneth; on the coast, and on the Barmouth and Carnarvon railway, 1 mile S of Harlech. Post town, Harlech, under Carnarvon. Acres, 5,196. Real property, £1,943. Pop., 426. Houses, 83. The property is much subdivided. The seaward views are very fine; and that toward Harlech is one of the most beautiful in Wales. ...


'T he living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, ££200.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. Charities, £5. Archbishop Baldwin and Giraldus slept here in 1188. Edmund Prys, w ho translated the Psalms into Welsh, was a native; and E. Wynne, the author of ''BarddCwsg, ''was rector.

Llanfair through time

Llanfair is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfair itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfair, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4465

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfair ".