Place:


Great Chart  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Chart like this:

CHART (Great) a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Ashford and Tunbridge railway, near the river Stour, 2 miles W by S of Ashford; and has a post office under Ashford. It was formerly a market town; and it still has a fair on 5 April. The parish comprises 3,281 acres. ...


Real property, £4,389. Pop., 806. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to Christ Church, Canterbury; and belongs now to the Chapter there. An earthquake was felt here in 1580. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £600.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is chiefly perpendicular English; was much repaired, in the 15th century, by the Goldwell family; and contains monuments of the Goldwells, the Tokes, and others. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and two alms-houses.

Great Chart through time

Great Chart is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Chart itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Chart, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4462

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Chart ".