Place:


Challock  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Challock like this:

CHALLOCK, a parish in East Ashford district, Kent; adjacent to the river Stour and to the Ashford and Canterbury railway, 2¾ miles NW by W of Wye r. station, and 5 N by E of Ashford. It has a post office under Ashford, and a fair on 8 Oct. Acres, 2,837. Real property, £2,643. Pop., 373. Houses, 78. The property is subdivided. Eastwell Park, the seat of the Earl of Winchelsea, is on the south. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Godmersham, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is ancient. Charities, £5.

Challock through time

Challock is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Challock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Challock, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4459

Date accessed: 28th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Challock ".