Place:


Brasted  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brasted like this:

BRASTED, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands on the river Tarent, 4 miles WNW of Sevenoaks, and 5½ N of Edenbridge r. station; and it has a post office under Sevenoaks, and fairs on Ascension-day and 25 Sept.—The parish comprises 4,456 acres. Real property, £5,877. ...


Pop., 1,182. Houses, 212. Brasted Park is the seat of William Tipping, Esq.; and was once the retreat of Louis Napoleon. The land lies on the edge of the Weald; and has fine views. Paper mills are on the Tarent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £673.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, interiorly, is chiefly early English,-exteriorly, of various characters. There are a Calvinist chapel, a national school, and charities £34.

Brasted through time

Brasted is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brasted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brasted, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4432

Date accessed: 22nd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brasted ".