Place:


Llanbister  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanbister like this:

LLANBISTER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Knighton district, Radnor. The village stands on the river Ithon, 8 miles NE by N of Rhayader r. station, and 10½ W of Knighton; and is neatly built. The parish is divided into L. Lower and L. Upper; and includes the townships of Bronllis-Caroge, Church, Cwmlechwedd, and Cwmgaist. ...


Post town, Penybont, Radnorshire. Acres, 14,837. Real property, £4,530. Pop., 1,0 45. Houses, 181. The property is much subdivided. Llyn. went is a mansion of the time of Elizabeth, much altered. There are several mineral springs. The living is a vi carage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church was recently repaired. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school, and charities £8.—The sub-district contains also six other parishes, and part of another. Pop., 4,370. Houses, 733.

Llanbister through time

Llanbister is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanbister itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanbister, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4428

Date accessed: 17th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanbister ".