Place:


Furneux Pelham  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Furneux Pelham like this:

FURNEUX-PELHAM, a parish in Bishop-Stortford district, Herts; on the river Ash, and on the verge of the county, 3½ miles E of West Mill r. station, and 5½ NNW of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Buntingford. Acres, 2, 535. Real property, £4, 385. Pop., 620. Houses, 121. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to the Pelhams of Stanmer; passed to the Brocklesbys; belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Simon de Furneux; and passed to the Lees, the Newports, the Morleys, and others. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Brent-Pelham, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is ancient but good; and contains a number of monuments, some fine carved work, and a fine marble monument. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £24.

Furneux Pelham through time

Furneux Pelham is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Furneux Pelham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Furneux Pelham in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4382

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Furneux Pelham ".