Place:


Glemsford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glemsford like this:

GLEMSFORD, a village and a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Stour and the Cambridge and Colchester railway, 4¼ miles ENE of Clare; and has a post office under Sudbury, a railway station, and a fair on 24 June. The parish comprises 2, 295 acres. Real property, £6, 456. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 626; in 1861, 1, 932. Houses, 419. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of horse-hair weaving and cocoa-nut fibre manufacture. Silk weaving and wool weaving also are carried on. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Earl Odo. A priests' college was established here in the time of Edward the Confessor; and had numerous privileges, which were confirmed by Stephen, Henry II., and Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £582.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is ancient, and has a tower which recently was rebuilt. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, a national school, and charities £36.

Glemsford through time

Glemsford is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glemsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glemsford, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/438

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glemsford ".