Place:


Hexton  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hexton like this:

HEXTON, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near Icknield street, among hills, adjacent to Beds, 5½ miles W by N of Hitchin r. station; and is a small but ancient place, known at Domesday as Hegastanestone. The parish comprises 1, 453 acres. Post town, Silsoe, under Ampthill. ...


Real property, £2, 216. Pop., 234. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to St. Alban's abbey; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Lee; passed to the Sadleirs, the Taverners, and others; and belongs now to the family of Lautour. Hexton house is a stately mansion, of some antiquity; and stands in a well wooded park, with beautiful views. A spot, called Bury Stede, near the church, is supposed to have been occupied as a residence of the Saxon kings. A Danish camp, called Ravensburgh castle, is on a high hill ¾ of a mile to the S. A battle was fought in the parish, in 914, between the Saxons and the Danes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £100. Patron, Mrs. Young De Lautour. The church was restored in 1824; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.

Hexton through time

Hexton is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hexton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hexton in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4375

Date accessed: 20th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hexton ".