Place:


Cottered  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cottered like this:

COTTERED, a parish in Royston district, Herts; at the sources of the river Beane, 2½ miles W of Buntingford town and r. station. It has a post office under Buntingford. Acres, 1, 760. Real property, £2, 290. Pop., 470. Houses, 97. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broadfield, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £450.* Patron, the Rev. John J. Manley. The church is very good; and there is an Independent chapel. A school has £40 from endowment; and other charities £73.

Cottered through time

Cottered is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cottered itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cottered in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4360

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cottered ".