Place:


Sanderstead  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sanderstead like this:

SANDERSTEAD, a parish, with a village, in Croydon district, Surrey; 1¾ mile E by N of Caterham Junction r. station, and 3 S S E of Croydon. It has apillar-box under Croydon. Acres, 2, 245. Real property, £2, 483. Pop., 206. Houses, 41. S. Court is the seat of A. D. Wigsell, Esq. Purley House wasoccupied by Horne Tooke, when he wrote his " Diversions of Purley; " and is now the residence of J. ...


H. Smith, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £500.* Patron, A. D. Wigsell, Esq. The church was recently restored, and has a spire. There are a parochial school, and charities £11.

Sanderstead through time

Sanderstead is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sanderstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sanderstead, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4348

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sanderstead ".