Place:


Tamerton Foliot  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tamerton Foliot like this:

TAMERTON-FOLIOTT, a village and a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands 4 miles N by W of Plymouth r. station; is supposed by Camden to be the Roman Tamara on Icknield-street; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Plymouth, and a cattle fair on the third Wednesday of July. ...


The parish comprises 4,690 acres of land , and 460 of water. Real property, £6,425. Pop., 1,164. Houses, 262. The property is much subdivided. Marystowe, Warleigh, Upland House , and Looseleigh are fine mansions; and there are numerous other excellent residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £315.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is modern; and there are an endowed school with £124 a year, a parochial school, four alms houses, and other charities £8.

Tamerton Foliot through time

Tamerton Foliot is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tamerton Foliot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tamerton Foliot, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4328

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tamerton Foliot ".