Place:


Stoke Gabriel  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Gabriel like this:

STOKE-GABRIEL, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Totnes district, Devon: on the river Dart, 4 miles SE of Totnes r. station. It has a post-office under Totnes. Acres, 3,075; of which 480 are water. Real property, £5,223. Pop., 622. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. ...


Waddeton Court is the seat of H. Studdy, Esq.; Sandridge, of Lord Cranstoun; and Maisonette, of H.Hunt, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £163. Patrons, alternately Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart., J. Belfield, Esq., and F. G. Templar, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10. Davis, the discoverer of Davis' Straits, was a native.

Stoke Gabriel through time

Stoke Gabriel is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Gabriel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Gabriel, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4318

Date accessed: 08th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Gabriel ".