Place:


Aconbury  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aconbury like this:

ACONBURY, or Acornbury, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands 2¾ miles WSW of Holme-Lacey r. station, and 4½ S of Hereford, and is an old-fashioned place. The parish comprises 1,591 acres; and its Post Town is Holme-Lacey under Hereford. ...


Real property, £1,132. Pop., 183. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Aconbury hill, to the S of the village, commands an extensive and very fine prospect, and shows distinct traces of a large Roman camp. An Augustinian nunnery anciently stood in Aconbury forest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £53.* Patron, the Rev. S. Thackwell. The church is neat.

Aconbury through time

Aconbury is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aconbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aconbury in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4302

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aconbury ".