Place:


Romansleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Romansleigh like this:

ROMANSLEIGHpopularly Rumsleigha parish, with a village, in South Molton district, Devon; 4 miles S S E of South Molton, and 6½ E by N of South Molton-Road r. station. Post-town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 2, 491. Real property, £1, 673. Pop., 230. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. Beaconhill rises to an altitude of 900 feet above sea-level. The Roman road from Stratton to the vicinity of Tauntongoes along the parochial boundary, and is here called Romansleigh Ridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £206.* Patron, Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1867. A chaly-beate spring is on its N side; and remains of an ancientcross are in the churchyard.

Romansleigh through time

Romansleigh is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Romansleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Romansleigh in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4289

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Romansleigh ".