Place:


Great Stainton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Stainton like this:

STAINTON (Great), a township and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The township lies 3½ miles W of Aycliffe r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Darlington. Post town, Bishopton, under Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 1,214. Real property, £1,156. Pop., 110. Houses, 21. The parish contains also Elstob township, and comprises 1,947 acres. Post town, Bishopton, under Stockton. Pop., 140. Houses, 27. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £355.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. There is an endowed school, with £10 a year.

Great Stainton through time

Great Stainton is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Stainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Stainton, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4284

Date accessed: 08th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Stainton ".