Place:


Redmarshall  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redmarshall like this:

REDMARSHALL, a township and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The township lies 1¼ mile S Wby S of Carlton r. station, and 4¼ W N W of Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 956. Real property, £852. Pop., 62. Houses, 12. The parish contains also the townships of Carlton and Stillington; and its post town is Stockton-on-Tees. ...


Acres, 3, 513. Real property, £2, 968. Pop., 278. Houses, 56. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marchioness of Londonderry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £341.* Patron, the Crown. The church is cruciform; has a Norman chancel arch, and a tower; and contains three later English sedilia, and an alabaster altar-tomb of J. Langton, who died in 1497. Charities, £13.

Redmarshall through time

Redmarshall is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redmarshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redmarshall, in Stockton on Tees and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4278

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Redmarshall".