Place:


Plymtree  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plymtree like this:

PLYMTREE, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands near the source of the river Clist, 3¼ miles S E of Cullompton r. station; and has a post-office under Cullompton. The parish comprises 2, 185 acres. Real property, £3, 617. Pop., 462. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £285.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is later English, good, and interesting; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a piscina, an ancient carved screen, and a carved oak altar-piece. There are an Independent chapel, a parochial school, and charities £29.

Plymtree through time

Plymtree is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plymtree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plymtree in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4263

Date accessed: 28th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plymtree ".